Beef and Mushrooms Stir Fried in a Ginger Glaze
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: Serves 4
- Category: Dinner
Any weeknight can be made better with an easy dinner like this. Packed with lots of veggies, iron-rich steak and flavorful fresh mushrooms, this stir-fry has a little bit for everyone. Customize it any way you like, it’s sure to please every time. For the days you need a fast, easy meal, keep this beef and mushroom stir fry recipe in your back pocket.
- 1/4 cup light soy sauce
- 2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp white sugar
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 4 tsp corn starch
- 8 oz well-trimmed beef steak (sirloin tip or top sirloin)
- 1 cup whole grain brown rice
- 5–6 baby bok choy (about 375 g)
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup julienned gingerroot
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp hot red pepper flakes (optional)
- 2 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 2 (227 g) pkg pre-sliced fresh white button or crimini Mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chicken broth or water
- 1/2 cup frozen corn niblets (optional)
- 1/2 cup blanched, halved, unsalted peanuts
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro leaves or green onions
- In a small measuring cup mix soy sauce, vinegar, sugar, sesame oil, and cornstarch until smooth.
- Pour half into a medium bowl for marinade and reserve the other half until later.
- Slice the beef across the grain into very thin narrow strips; stir beef into marinade mixture and marinate at least 20 minutes. Meanwhile cook rice according to package directions. Separate stalks of bok choy and remove leaves set both aside.
- In a large non-stick skillet or wok heat 2 tsp (10 mL) oil until hot over medium- high heat; add ginger, garlic and pepper flakes and stir-fry 30 seconds or until fragrant but not browned.
- Remove beef from marinade with slotted spoon: add to hot skillet and stir-fry 2-3 minutes or until browned. Transfer all to a bowl.
- Add remaining 1 tsp (5 mL) oil to the skillet.
- Add bok choy stalks, carrots, onions and fresh sliced mushrooms; stir-fry 3-5 minutes; add broth and corn; cover and steam 2-3 minutes or until vegetables are crisp- tender.
- Stir in bok choy leaves and push vegetables to the side of skillet.
- Pour reserved starch mixture and left over marinade into middle of skillet; bring to boil for 1 minute, stirring constantly until slightly thickened.
- Return the marinated ginger beef mixture with any accumulated juices and peanuts to the skillet; toss just until hot.
- Serve the mushroom and beef stir fry over hot rice and garnish with cilantro or green onions.
- Makes 4 main course servings
- Partially freeze meat to enable cutting it very thin.
- Substitute broccoli for bok choy.
- Substitute small shiitake caps for half of the sliced mushrooms.
- Substitute raw cashews for peanuts.
Keywords: Beef Stir Fry, Mushroom Stir Fry, Beef and Mushroom Stir-Fry