Meaty baby bella mushrooms make these Asian-fusion vegetarian bulgogi tacos a great meal any time of day. The bold flavors of the Bulgogi marinade pair beautifully with the crunch and tang of the homemade kimchi slaw. A heavy-handed sprinkle of panela cheese is the cherry on top of the mushroom taco.
- 8 oz. white button mushrooms, halved
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 4 (6-inch) flour tortillas, warm
- Quick Kimchee Slaw (recipe follows)
- 1/2 cup crumbled panela cheese
- Thinly sliced jalapenos
- Fresh cilantro sprigs, for garnish
- Toasted sesame seeds, for garnish
- 1/2 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup grated fresh pear
- a pinch red pepper flakes
- 4 teaspoons soy sauce
- 4 teaspoons apple juice
- 4 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon thinly sliced green onion
- 1/2 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
Quick Kimchee Slaw
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Napa cabbage
- 1 small carrot, shredded
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
Bulgogi Marinade Instructions:
- Whisk together all of the ingredients. Refrigerate.
- Note: To use as a dipping sauce, bring the marinade to a simmer, then refrigerate.
Quick Kimchi Slaw Instructions:
- Combine the cabbage, carrots, onions, pepper flakes, garlic, and salt. Mix well; refrigerate for an hour. Squeeze out juices and put the kimchee in a clean bowl. Stir in the vinegar. Refrigerate until needed.
- Note: Can be made up to 1 day in advance
Mushroom Tacos Instructions:
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat; add oil, then mushrooms. Cook for 2 minutes stirring occasionally until golden; turn.
- Add the marinade and simmer until it is reduced to a glaze. Pour the glazed mushrooms into a serving dish.
- To serve, top each tortilla with mushrooms, slaw, cheese, cilantro, jalapeño and a sprinkle of sesame seeds and fold in half to eat.
- Serving Size: 1 Taco
- Calories: 140
- Sodium: 660 mg
- Fat: 2.5 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 21 g
- Fiber: 3 g
- Protein: 9 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: Mushroom Tacos, Bulgogi Tacos, Bulgogi Mushrooms