Mushrooms – Nature’s Superfood
Nutritionally dense and great for your health, mushrooms are considered one of nature’s superfoods. They are fat-free, low calorie, low sodium, and low in cholesterol. Mushrooms are a natural source of antioxidants. Regular consumption of antioxidant-rich foods can help your body fight off damage from free radicals, substances involved in aging, cancer, and heart disease. Here are a few ways mushrooms can boost your health.
Mushrooms Boost Your Immune System
Mushrooms release antivirals and proteins, which help protect and heal tissues within the body and help defend against microbes. Considering the times we are in, we all need as much immune power as we can get!
Mushrooms Contain Fiber
Fiber regulates the body’s sugar levels, improves the health and regularity of the digestive system, lowers cholesterol, and aids in weight loss. A diet high in fiber reduces the risk of developing many health conditions, such as diabetes, heart disease, and diverticular disease.
Mushrooms Improve Your Digestion
Considered a prebiotic, they nourish the beneficial bacteria found in your gut’s microbiome, making your digestion process run more smoothly.
Mushrooms Are a Rich Source of Antibiotics
Their bacteria repelling properties allow for the development of penicillin. Though they can’t cure your ear infection, their antibacterial properties are great for your overall health.
Mushrooms Contain Many Vitamins and Minerals
The nutrients in mushrooms keep you healthy. A few of which include:
- Vitamin B2 (riboflavin) for growth, eye health, migraine prevention, and overall health
- Vitamin B3 (niacin) for the digestive system, nervous system, and skin health
- Vitamin D for a robust immune system, strong bones, weight loss, improved mood, and improved absorption of calcium
- Calcium for forming and maintaining strong bones, nervous system health, muscle movements, and blood clotting.
- Choline for metabolism, nervous system health, and liver function
- Copper for red blood cell production and health of bones, nerves, and immune system
- Iron for forming red blood cells and maintaining overall health
- Potassium for muscle health, and reduced risk of stroke, kidney stones, and osteoporosis
- Selenium for metabolism, thyroid function, and reduced risk of mental decline, heart disease, and bladder cancer
Mushrooms Can Help Prevent Against or Manage Diabetes
They contain no cholesterol, no fat, and low carbohydrates. However, their ability to keep you full with no sugar helps keep insulin levels steady.
Mushrooms Might Help Prevent Cancer
They are a natural source of linoleic acid (or omega six fatty acid), which helps keep your body’s estrogen levels balanced, and beta-glucans, a form of fiber that can stop cancer cells from growing.
Mushrooms Protect your Brain
They have been found to increase focus, improve mild cognitive impairments, and enhance nerve and brain health.
Mushrooms are DELICIOUS
Their rich, savory, meaty flavor is called umami. It enhances the appetite, improves feelings of satiety, emphasizes sweetness, reduces bitterness, and allows for the use of less salt. Delicious on their own, mushrooms also enhance the flavor profile of other any ingredients or foods it is paired with. Now that you know how amazing this superfood is, try your hand at making one of our delicious mushroom recipes!
Why Choose South Mill Champs Mushrooms for Cooking
There are a plethora of reasons why South Mill Champs should be your go-to source for mushrooms. With our decades of experience and hands-on approach, you can expect quality with every purchase. Here are a few more reasons why you should trust your health and your purchase power to South Mill Champs.
- We have 90 years of experience farming mushrooms.
- We are involved in every detail of the process, even farming the straw we use to create the fertile substrate for every mushroom.
- We prepare our healthy growing medium under strictly controlled conditions to ensure productive, nutritious mushrooms.
- We are committed to conserving energy and reducing air pollution.
- We grow our mushrooms indoors, and almost all of our growing rooms use energy-efficient units for cooling and natural gas for heating.
- We use several conservation methods to minimize the usage of water.
- We employ organic growing methods whenever possible.
- We recycle 100% of our growing medium.
- We make food safety and employee welfare our top priorities.
- We were the first mushroom farm in the country to be audited by Mushroom Good Agricultural Practices (MGAP), an initiative of leaders in the mushroom industry working with the USDA to create thorough food safety standards.
- We apply tracking codes to every package, allowing us to track our products from origin to distribution to store shelf.
- Our mushrooms just taste better!
When you’re ready to taste the difference between our mushrooms and the competition, you’ll be surprised you waited so long. One of the best parts? You don’t have to scour the country to add these amazing ingredients to your diet. You can find our fresh mushroom products at any of these local stores: Walmart, Costco, Albertson’s, ALDI, ingles, Nugget Markets, Sobeys, Safeway, or Loblaws.