The beloved and popular BLT gets a makeover with mushrooms! The favorite combination of bacon, lettuce and tomato tops baked portabella mushrooms instead of bread for a light lunch.
- 4 slices bacon, halved
- 4 large fresh portabella mushrooms, stems removed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp dried basil
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 4 tbsp crumbled goat cheese
- 1 large tomato, sliced into 4 thick slices
- 2 cups mixed greens (romaine, arugula, baby spinach)
- ¼ cup red onion, slivered
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinaigrette
- Garnish: chopped fresh basil (optional)
- Place bacon in single layer on one end of large rimmed baking sheet. Bake at 425°F for 3 minutes. Meanwhile brush both sides of mushrooms with oil.
- Remove baking sheet and place mushrooms stem side down on other end of baking sheet. Bake for 4 minutes. Then remove baking sheet again and turn mushrooms over stem side up. Sprinkle evenly with basil, salt and pepper. Top each mushroom with 1 tbsp of goat cheese and a slice of tomato. Return to all to oven for 4-5 minutes longer or until mushrooms are soft and bacon is cooked.
- Meanwhile, toss greens and red onion with vinaigrette.
- Drain bacon on paper towels.
- Place mushrooms on individual salad plates. Top each with 2 slices of bacon. Spoon salad mixture on top. Sprinkle with fresh basil, if desired and serve while warm.
- For ease of clean up, line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- For convenience omit cooking bacon slices and use pre-cooked bacon slices or ¼ cup of pre-cooked bacon pieces.
- Substitute 8 thin slices of pancetta for the 4 slices of bacon. It cooks faster so just bake it with the mushrooms for about 6-8 minutes or until crisp. Pancetta is Italian bacon that is not smoked and is available in the deli section of the grocery store.
- Serving Size: 1 PBLT
- Calories: 150
- Sodium: 430 mg
- Fat: 10 g
- Saturated Fat: 2 g
- Carbohydrates: 10 g
- Fiber: 3 g
- Protein: 6 g
- Cholesterol: 10 mg
Keywords: PBLT, Mushroom Bacon Lettuce Tomato,