A quick twist on an American favorite. Spice up this classic comfort food with a dash of taco seasoning, salsa, and mushrooms; your much-loved Mac and Cheese will never be the same.
- 4 1/2 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups dried whole grain elbow pasta, enriched (substitute penne or other types of pasta if preferred)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 ounces white button mushrooms, sliced or quartered
- 4 teaspoons taco seasoning mix, low sodium (if available)
- 1/2 cup prepared salsa
- 1 cup reduced-fat cheddar cheese, shredded
- Add water to pot and bring to a boil. Add pasta, cook uncovered for 10-13 minutes, or until pasta has reached desired firmness.
- While pasta is cooking, heat a sauté pan on medium, add oil and swirl to coat the bottom of pan. Add mushrooms and 2 teaspoons taco seasoning mix, sauté 5 minutes.
- When pasta is done, drain water and return to pot. Heat on low while stirring in salsa, mushrooms and remaining 2 teaspoons taco seasoning mix for 2 minutes or less.
- Divide into four portions, top each with 1/4 cup of shredded cheese.
- Calories: 440
- Sodium: 550 mg
- Fat: 11 g
- Saturated Fat: 4 g
- Carbohydrates: 70 g
- Fiber: 11 g
- Protein: 20 g
- Cholesterol: 20 mg
Keywords: Mac and Cheese, Taco Mac and Cheese, Mushroom Mac and Cheese