Vegetarian comfort food is as simple as combining Mexican flavors to this veggie-filled crowd-pleaser. Topped with fresh Pico de Gallo and a Chipotle Cream Sauce, this mushroom enchilada recipe gives you a fresh and vibrant meal in minutes.
Pico de Gallo (makes about 8 oz.)
- 2 oz. red onion, cut into ½-inch dice
- 6 oz. Roma tomatoes, cut into ½-inch dice
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- ¼ oz. minced serrano pepper
- Ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon lime juice
Chipotle Cream Sauce (makes about 48 oz.)
- 48 oz. béchamel sauce
- 3 oz. chipotle concentrate (Minor)
Vegetable Enchiladas (makes 24 enchiladas)
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 12 oz. sliced onion
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 15 oz. sliced white button mushrooms
- 15 oz. zucchini, sliced into half-moons
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- ¾ teaspoon ground coriander
- ¾ teaspoon salt½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 12 oz. New Mexico green chiles, chopped
- 1 ½ lbs. shredded Monterey Jack cheese, divided
- 24 (6-inch) corn tortillas
- ¾ oz. chopped fresh cilantro
Pico de Gallo Instructions:
- Combine the onion, tomatoes, cilantro, serranos, salt, pepper, and lime juice.
- Refrigerate until needed.
Chipotle Cream Sauce Instructions:
- Warm the béchamel and whisk in the chipotle concentrate.
- Hold warm for service.
Vegetable and Mushroom Enchilada Instructions:
- Heat the oil in a large sauté pan.
- Saute the onions and garlic for 1 minute, then add the white button mushrooms, zucchini, oregano, and coriander and stir until just hot through (2 to 3 minutes).
- Remove from the heat and add salt and pepper.
- Pour into a hotel pan and allow to cool to room temperature. Once cooled, stir in the green chiles and 12 oz. of the cheese.
- Dip the tortillas in a hot fryer for 10-15 seconds to soften and set them aside on a sheet pan with a screen to drain.
- Top each tortilla with 2 ½ oz. mushroom filling and roll it up.
- Place the veggie enchiladas seam-side down in two rows in an oiled 200 pan.
- Pour the chipotle cream sauce over the enchiladas and cover tightly with foil.
- Bake in a 350-degree oven until the enchiladas reach an internal temperature of 165 degrees.
- Remove the foil and cook until the cheese is well melted.
- Garnish with the pico de gallo and cilantro. Serve 1 mushroom enchilada per portion.
Keywords: Mushroom and Vegetable Enchiladas, Mushroom Enchiladas, Mexican Enchiladas