Mushroom Orzo with Parsley, Lemon Zest and Olive Oil
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 6 Servings 1x
- Category: Dinner, Lunch
This zesty vegetarian mushroom orzo recipe is a crowd-pleasing dish that is low in sodium, but high in flavor. The medley of button, oyster and enoki mushrooms add layers of umami flavor while zesty lemon subtly enhances the dish. For a healthier take, use whole wheat or high protein orzo pasta.
- 1 1/3 cups whole wheat or high protein orzo
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (divided)
- 8 ounces button mushrooms, halved or quartered if very large
- 3 to 4 ounces oyster mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 3 to 4 ounces enoki mushrooms, root trimmed and separated
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- pinch freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- fresh parsley, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook orzo pasta as package directs, drain and place in a large bowl; cover to keep warm.
- Meanwhile, heat 2 teaspoons olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add button mushrooms, oyster mushrooms garlic, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, 5 to 8 minutes or until tender. Gently toss in enoki mushrooms and cook 30 seconds longer. Mix into warm orzo. Let rest 5 minutes.
- Toss with last 4 teaspoons olive oil and remaining ingredients. Serve warm.
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 399
- Sodium: 336 mg
- Fat: 10 g
- Saturated Fat: 2 g
- Carbohydrates: 65 g
- Fiber: 5 g
- Protein: 16 g
- Cholesterol: 4 g
Keywords: Mushroom Orzo, Mushroom Pasta, Oyster Mushroom Pasta