Nothing says “wow” like a homemade pasta sauce. This spin on a classic Bolognese blends ground beef with finely chopped mushrooms. Simple ingredients simmer together to create a robust and satisfying sauce that is even better the next day.
- 12 oz (375 g) fresh crimini Mushrooms
- 1 onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
- 12 oz (375 g) lean ground beef
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) Worcestershire sauce
- 1 pkt (5 g) Mushrooms Seasoning Blend
- 1 1/2 tsp (7 mL) salt
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) red wine
- 1 can (156 mL) tomato paste
- 1 bottle (720 mL) strained tomato purée
- 1 lb (500 g) spaghetti, cooked and drained
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) torn fresh basil leaves
- Parmesan cheese
- Place the mushrooms, onion and garlic in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a metal blade. Pulse until finely chopped. Heat the oil in a Dutch oven or large saucepan set over medium heat. Crumble in the ground beef. Cook for 5 minutes or until browned. Add the mushroom mixture, Worcestershire sauce, seasoning blend and salt. Cook for 5 minutes or until tender.
- Stir in the wine; simmer for 1 minute. Add the tomato paste. Cook, stirring constantly, for 5 minutes or until dark red. Stir in the tomato puree. Simmer for 45 minutes or until thickened. Toss the spaghetti with the sauce and basil. Serve with Parmesan cheese.
Tip: Freeze any leftover sauce in a tight container for up to 1 month.
Keywords: Mushroom Spaghetti, Blended Mushroom Spaghetti, Spaghetti Bolognese