Take your family on a low-sodium culinary adventure around the world with this Thai mushroom curry recipe. Vibrant green curry is complemented by smooth tofu, umami-rich shiitake and crimini mushrooms and crisp green beans. Serve this delicious vegetarian meal over steamed white or basmati rice, if desired.
- 1 pound extra firm tofu, drained
- 1 tablespoon Thai green curry paste
- 1 (13 to 14 ounce) can coconut milk (divided)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce (optional)
- 8 ounces shiitake mushrooms, halved
- 8 ounces crimini mushrooms, halved
- 1 small onion, cut into 1-inch dice
- 1 small red pepper, seeded and cut into 1-inch dice
- 1 cup green beans (fresh or frozen and thawed), cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Working on the long side of the block of tofu, slice it into 8 slices.
- Place two layers of paper towel on a rimmed baking sheet and top with tofu slices. Place two more layers of paper towel on top of the tofu, followed by another baking sheet.
- Weigh the baking sheet down with a heavy skillet or 3 cans for about hour to squeeze out excess moisture.
- Cut each rectangle into 4 pieces.
- Heat olive oil in a deep skillet or Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add green curry paste and cook 30 seconds to soften.
- Add coconut milk, brown sugar and fish sauce (if using); bring to a simmer and cook for 3 – 4 minutes.
- Add shiitake and crimini mushrooms and onion; cover and simmer 3 – 4 minutes.
- Gently stir in tofu; cover and simmer 3 – 4 minutes.
- Add peppers and green beans; simmer partially covered 3 – 4 minutes.
- Add lime juice and basil and gently stir just to combined; season with salt and pepper. Serve with steamed white or basmati rice, if desired.
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 259
- Sodium: 262 mg
- Fat: 20 g
- Saturated Fat: 13 g
- Carbohydrates: 13 g
- Fiber: 3 g
- Protein: 12 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: Thai Green Curry, Tofu and Mushroom Curry