Bring the taste of the Middle East home with deliciously spiced king trumpet mushrooms. These shawarma bowls are loaded with flavor and crisp, fresh ingredients that are so filling you won’t miss the meat.
- 1 8 oz package of king trumpet mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 2 tbsp Shawarma seasoning (store bought or homemade)
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 can chickpeas, rinsed
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 red onion, sliced into ½ inch rounds
- ½ English cucumber, diced
- 8–12 cherry tomatoes, cut into quarters
- 2 cups cooked couscous
- Optional garnish: Fresh chopped parsley, feta cheese, pickled turnip
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt
- 3 tbsp tahini
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp onion powder
- Pinch of salt and ground cumin
- Water as needed
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- In a large bowl toss together sliced king trumpet mushrooms, 1 tbsp olive oil, water and Shawarma seasoning. Coat completely.
- Arrange mushrooms in a single layer on parchment-lined baking sheet. Set aside.
- To the same bowl add chickpeas, bell pepper, onion and 1 tbsp olive oil; toss to coat. Spread evenly onto another parchment-lined baking sheet. Place both baking sheets in the oven and roast for 18-20 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix together all ingredients for the tahini sauce. Add water to thin to desirable consistency. Set aside.
- Divide cooked couscous, roasted king trumpet mushrooms, roasted chickpea, peppers and onions, cucumber and tomatoes among four bowls. Garnish with optional toppings and drizzle with tahini sauce.
- Homemade Shawarma Seasoning: 1 tbsp sweet paprika, 2 tsp ground cumin, 2 tbsp turmeric, 1 tsp cinnamon, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp onion powder, 1 tsp allspice, 1 tsp ground coriander, 1 tsp ground ginger