The perfect partner for any noodle, this hearty, meaty mushroom sauce is an easy way to extend portions and stretch your grocery dollar. And thanks to The Blend, you’ll get an extra serving of veggies on your plate too!
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound mushrooms (such as white button, crimini or portabella), finely chopped
- 1 pound 80% lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 jar (24 ounces) marinara sauce
- cooked pasta
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- grated Parmesan cheese
- In large pot over medium heat, add oil and cook onions, stirring occasionally, until just soft, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook 1 minute.
- Add mushrooms and cook 5 minutes, or until mushrooms are soft and reduced in size.
- Add ground beef, Italian seasoning and salt; cook until browned throughout, about 6 minutes, stirring and breaking up lumps. Skim off fat, leaving about 2 tablespoons.
- Stir in marinara sauce and reduce heat to low. Cook 10 minutes.
- Serve over cooked pasta, season with salt and pepper, to taste, and top with grated Parmesan.