Turkey & Mushroom BBQ Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
This hearty sweet potato topping combines lean ground turkey with white button mushrooms. Simply microwave the potatoes until tender for a quick dinner. You can eat them for dinner and bring the leftovers for lunch the next day!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 8 1x
- Category: Dinner, Lunch
- 4 large sweet potatoes, about 1 pound each
- 16 Ounces white button mushrooms
- 1 Pound lean ground turkey
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 2 Cups prepared barbecue sauce
- 2 Cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 4 green onions, white and green portion sliced
- Pierce potatoes in several places with a fork and cook in the microwave according to your unit’s instructions, 13 to 15 minutes, until fork-tender. Let sit until cool enough to handle.
- Add mushrooms to the bowl of a food processor and pulse until finely chopped (or finely dice by hand if preferred). Blend ground turkey and mushrooms in a large bowl.
- Preheat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add the turkey and mushrooms. Cook, stirring often, until it begins to brown, about 5 minutes. Add onion. Continue to cook, until the turkey is browned and no longer pink, about 7 more minutes. Drain excess liquid.
- Add barbecue sauce and stir until heated through, about 2 minutes. Cut each sweet potato in half lengthwise. Place cut-side up on a baking sheet. Use a fork to mash some of the potato and move to the sides to create a space for the filling. Spoon barbecue filling into each of the 8 potato halves. Sprinkle with an equal amount of cheese.
- Broil on high for five minutes, until cheese is browned and bubbling. Serve warm.
- This recipe makes enough for eight servings. Depending on how many servings you need, consider cooking only two potatoes and refrigerating the rest of the filling for a meal later in the week. It will keep for up to three days and makes delicious sandwiches, or use the filling to top a dinner salad.
Keywords: Sweet Potatoes, Mushroom Stuffed Potato, The Blend, Turkey Mushroom Potato