Current Job Opening: Composting Division Manager in British Columbia
The manager is responsible for overseeing production operations for the composting facility at Champ’s Farms in Aldergrove, BC. This person will work with the Director of Composting & General Manager to develop and manage policies and procedures that are in line with current European composting best practices to ensure the composting facility’s optimization.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Compost management and ensuring the compost system uptime.
- Work with the Business Development team on the farm(s) expansion projects.
- Successfully train composting staff.
- Be able to lead by fostering engagement and productivity of composting team.
- Follows all Standard Operating Procedures (SOP’s). Work with VP of Growing to monitor compost quality and consistency by monitoring KPIs and data.
- Collaborate with senior leadership to create composting processes and policies aligned with South Mill Champ’s Mushrooms’ business goals.
- Manage compost budget and implement appropriate cost controls for the composting division.
- Work with environmental safety team to ensure compliance with all applicable local, state, and federal regulations – and the health and safety of employees.
- Responsible for establishing a positive and effective relationship with key stakeholders to develop or expand the company’s business and ensure the delivery of quality products and excellence in the Growing Department.
Additional responsibilities shall include but not be limited to:
- Conduct daily visual observation of compost condition with staff.
- Log daily report with Phase 2 Management.
- Conduct weekly compost meetings with the team.
- Perform all plating for unwanted organisms.
- Ensure correct filling of tunnels, moisture levels of compost, and consistent follow-through on composting schedules.
- Work to reduce waste in the compost division, manage labor efficiencies and machine reliability.
- Address any issues on composting or organic waste management.
Qualifications (Skills, Abilities, and Experience Required):
- Extensive knowledge of European methods of overall composting process.
- Professional and positive attitude.
- Adaptable to varied and challenging agricultural work environments.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Proficient in computer usage and Microsoft Office suite.
- Willingness to work extended hours.
- Able to quickly learn and utilize Compost Phase Control System.
- Willingness and ability to mentor and teach others.
- AS or BS in science and/or agriculture.
- Experience: 3 years minimum in European Mushroom composting required.
- 3 years minimum of Management background is required.
- Private Pesticide License preferred.
- Valid Driver’s License required.
Reporting Relationship of Position:
- Director of Composting
- Approximately <10% travel
- Willingness to relocate to US when needed
- Competitive Base salary plus bonus program.
- Medical, Vision & Dental Insurance offered
- Other benefits will be presented at the interview
The physical demands described here represent those that must be met by an employee to perform the essential functions of this job successfully. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing this job’s duties, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand, walk, and reach with hands and arms.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- Always required to speak and comprehend English.
- Always required to see with or without corrective lenses.
- Occasionally required to balance, stoop or crouch.
- Occasionally required to climb stairs.
The work environment characteristics described here represent those an employee encounter while performing this job’s essential functions. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- General office environment locations and/or project sites.
- While performing this job’s duties, the employee frequently works on or near a site where moving mechanical parts and equipment are present and operating.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- Exposure to a variety of temperature, weather conditions and sound levels, especially with regards to damp and wet environments.
- Regularly exposed to hazardous conditions requiring personal protective equipment.
- Always required to think, evaluate and make decisions.
- Occasionally required to analyze, study, compare and report.
To apply email your cover letter and resume to Jessica Weil firstname.lastname@example.org.
About South Mill Champs
Our mission at South Mill Champs is to nourish the planet sustainably by supplying the North American continent with delicious mushrooms we cultivate and deliver with uncompromising authenticity. By innovating and educating people on the mighty Mushroom’s Trifecta of Goodness™ – great tasting, great for you, and great for the planet — we can address human health & wellbeing, climate, and global farming constraints.
Our diverse team prioritizes customer commitments first by consistently providing fresh and innovative products. Our teams’ diversity and unique backgrounds, matched with the aptitude and attitude to succeed in growing one of the largest North American mushroom companies, have led to rapid growth at South Mill Champs in the past three years.
Join South Mill Champs and help transform the North American mushroom experience.