Mushroom, Beef and Brown Rice Taco Bowls
These build-your-own taco bowls are ideal for a busy weeknight dinner. The beef and mushroom blend can cook all day in the slow cooker so that when you are ready to serve, you only need to prepare instant rice and sauté a few mushrooms. Pile on your favorite toppings just before serving.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: Serves 6
- Category: Dinner, Lunch
- 24 oz white button mushrooms
- 1 lb 80-percent lean ground beef
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp chili powder, plus 1 teaspoon
- 1 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp ground oregano
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 15-oz can tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 cup cooked instant brown rice
- Shredded cheese
- Sliced black olives
- Diced avocado
- Sour cream
- Sliced green onions
- Lime wedges
- Shredded cabbage or lettuce
- Crumbled tortilla chips
- Add 16 ounces of mushrooms to the bowl of a food processor and pulse until finely chopped (or finely dice by hand if preferred). Slice the remaining 8 ounces of mushrooms and keep in the refrigerator until just before serving.
- Blend ground beef and mushrooms in the bowl of a slow cooker (about 6 quarts in size). Add onion and sprinkle in 1 tablespoon of chili powder, 1 teaspoon of salt, cumin, garlic powder, oregano and smoked paprika. Stir in tomato sauce and water.
- Place the lid on the slow cooker and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours, until beef is no longer pink.
- Just before serving heat the olive oil in a medium skillet over medium high. Add sliced mushrooms and cook until browned and slightly tender, about 2 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining 1 teaspoon of chili powder and ½ teaspoon salt.
- Stir the rice into the cooked beef and mushrooms. Spoon it into serving bowls. Add some sliced mushrooms and add your favorite toppings before enjoying
Keywords: Blended Mushroom Bowl, Rice Bowl, Mushroom Bowl