Portabella, Bacon, Lettuce and Tomato Salad
The favorite combination of bacon, lettuce and tomato tops baked portabella mushrooms instead of bread for a light lunch.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 12 minutes
- Total Time: 17 minutes
- Yield: Serves 4
4 slices bacon, halved
4 large fresh portabella Mushrooms (340g) stems removed
1 tbsp olive oil (15 mL)
1 tsp dried basil (5 mL)
¼ tsp Each salt and pepper (1 mL)
4 tbsp crumbled Chevre cheese (60 mL)
1 large tomato, sliced into 4 thick slices
2 cups mixed greens (mesculin, arugula, baby spinach) (500 mL)
¼ cup slivered red onion (50 mL)
2 tbsp balsamic vinaigrette (25 mL)
Garnish: chopped fresh basil (optional)
- Place bacon in single layer on one end of large rimmed baking sheet. Bake at 425°F (220°C) for 3 minutes.
- Meanwhile brush both sides of mushrooms with oil. Remove baking sheet and place mushrooms stem side down on other end of baking sheet. Bake for 4 minutes.
- Then remove baking sheet again and turn mushrooms over stem side up. Sprinkle evenly with basil, salt and pepper.
- Top each mushroom with 1 tbsp (15 mL) of goat cheese and a slice of tomato.
- Return to all to oven for 4-5 minutes longer or until mushrooms are soft and bacon is cooked.
- Meanwhile, toss greens and red onion with vinaigrette.
- Drain bacon on paper towels. Place mushrooms on individual salad plates. Top each with 2 slices of bacon. Spoon salad mixture on top. Sprinkle with fresh basil, if desired and serve while warm.
• For ease of clean up, line baking sheet with parchment paper.
• For convenience omit cooking bacon slices and use pre-cooked bacon slices or ¼ cup (60 mL) of pre-cooked bacon pieces.
• Substitute 8 thin slices of pancetta for the 4 slices of bacon. It cooks faster so just bake it with the mushrooms for about 6-8 minutes or until crisp. Pancetta is Italian bacon that is not smoked and is available in the deli section of the grocery store.
Keywords: Salad, Portabella Salad, BLT Mushroom Salad